Lecture 1. *Tues. Sept. 2*
Using maple to find max, min and inflection points.
- Distribution of the syllabus.
- VAX accounts are required by next week. The use of: help, mail or pine, maple
and lynx on the vax. Graphical web browsers are available in the library and
in terminal rooms around campus.
- A first quick over-all look at maple and the windows interface.
Lecture 2. *Thrs. Sept. 4*
Working with vectors in Maple
- Introduction to the Algebra and Geometry of Euclidean Space.
- Addition of vectors and scalar multiplication.
- Inner product and length.
- Orthonormal Coordinate Systems.
Cornell lectures available: Vectors,
The Dot Product
Lecture 3. *Tues. Sep. 9*
- Right handed Coordinate systems
- Geometric properties of the cross product.
- Algebraic properties of the Cross Product: anticommutativity, not associativity, distributivity, multiplication by scalars.
Lecture 4. *Thrs. Sep. 11*
- More properties of Cross Products. Examples.
Maple proof that cross products are
- Lines in 3D: velocity vector, position vector, change of clocks. Parallel lines,
perpendicular lines, angle between lines, intersection of lines.
- Planes in 3D: normal vector, position vector, angle between planes.
Lines with Maple